Navigation Menu+

Wingnut Junkers J.1 – #14

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 by in Dr Gjutstam, Wingnut Junkers J.1 | 4 comments

_0000_002.JPG

Vädring, steg 1

Dekalerna har skyddslackats, och det är dags att börja skita ner kärran! Först lade jag en svag oljewash över hela modellen. Jag valde att använda obränd umbra på alla ljust blågrå ytor. Färgklutten på bilden ovan blandades med lacknafta, ungefär halva koppen är lagom.

Weathering, Step 1

After giving the decals a protective clear varnish, it’s time to get dirty! I started with a weak oil wash on all surfaces, raw umber on the light blue-gray areas. The umber blob in the picture above was cut withwhite spirit, about half the glass filled.

_0001_004.JPG

 Jag testade styrkan på washen innan jag började appliceringen. som synes är soppan tunn.

I always test the strength of the wash before applying it to the model, keeping it rather weak.

_0002_006.JPG

Det är viktigt att hela tiden röra om washen, pigmenten separerar från naftan ganska fort.

I continually stirred the wash, as the pigments have a tendency to separate from the spirit.

_0003_Layer 1

Inget finlir här, jag blaskade på friskt som synes! Nu lät jag washen yttorka max 10 minuter.

No need for precision at this stage, as can be seen! I now let the wash set for no more than 10 minutes.

_0004_010.JPG

Rinnmärken och oönskade ansamlingar av färg togs nu bort, och washen fadades ut med en ren, lätt naftafuktad platt pensel. Ett fjäderlätt ”vispande” med penseln räcker. Med den här tekniken har man suverän kontroll över resultatet.

Running streaks and unwanted parts of the wash was now faded or removed with the help of a broad, flat brush, lightly moistened in spirits. A light ”fluttering” with the brush is enough, and great contol can be achieved.

_0005_011.JPG

 Nu fick oljefärgen sätta sig ordentligt, åtminstone 3-4 timmar.

I now let the oils set properly, at least 3-4 hours.

_0006_013.JPG

 Washen hade torkat, och det var dags för nästa steg.

The wash was now topdry, time to move on to the next step.

_0007_018.JPG

 Jag tillsatte nu en lika stor klick bränd umbra till den tidigare wash-mixen. Den här washen är det betydligt mera stuns i.

I added a similar size blob of burn umber to the original wash mix. There’s a lot more bite to this mix, as can be seen by the sample above (bottom dark brown sample).

1

Den här mixen lade jag på med en fin akvarellpensel. Jag stök den över alla detaljer jag ville framhäva. Jag behövde inte vara jätte-noggrann, korrigeringar gjordes på samma sätt som med den första washen: låt yttorka en stund, och slutkorrigera med en flat, ren pensel.

This mix was applied with a fine pointed water colour brush. I applied the wash over any details I wanedt to emphasize. No need to be too careful, corrections were made’the same way as with the first wash: let the wash dry some, and make adjustments with a flat, clean brush.

2

Det är en del att blaska på: nu luktade hela lägenheten lacknafta, urk.

Quite a lot of bluegray to cover: now the whole apartment reeked of white spirit, yuck.

3

Även dekalerna måste washas!

Don’t skip on weathering the decals, too!

4

Ser ganska najs ut?

Looking quite ok?

_0000_002.JPG

Vädring, steg 2

Jag använde samma wash jag rörde ihop i början, med obränd och bränd umbra. Eftersom den stått över natten började jag med att filtrera den genom ett kaffefilter.

Weathering, Step 2

I used the original wash of raw and burnt umber, saved from the day before. I started this session by filtering the wash through an ordinary coffee filter to get rid of any flakes or unpurities.

_0001_004.JPG

Till ovansidans gröna och gredelina ytor behövdes det ytterligare lite mera stuns i washen. Jag blandade i en rejäl klutt svart (ca 1,5 ggr de bruna kluttarna). Färgprovet näst längst ner ger ett hum om styrkan.

For the green and mauve areas, I needed a stronger wash. I mixed in some black (about 1,5 times bigger blob than the initial umber one). The samples above gives an idea of the strength needed.

 

_0004_007.JPG

Översiktsbild…

Overview…

_0005_008.JPG

 

Det ser kanske brutalt ut just nu, men effekterna kommer att tonas ner härnäst.

It might look a bit over the top right now, but the next step in the weathering process will be to tone down some of the effects.

_0006_009.JPG

Var är motorn?! Den ligger o skäms i en låda just nu, är jag rädd… jag blev inte nöjd med den, o vet inte riktigt hur jag ska lösa det… jag skulle ha byggt den out-of-the-box, mitt pucko!

Where’s the engine?! Well, it’s hiding out in my ”box of shame”… I failed bit time with it, and I’m not sure what to do about it right now… I should have just built it out-of-the-box, I’m an idiot!

_0008_012.JPG

Ovansida…

As above…

_0007_011.JPG

… och undersida!

… so below!

4 Comments

  1. Beautiful work with a fantastic result. I have never been any good at weathering but reading your description has made me want to try again. Thank you for sharing your technique with us, it is mighty helpful.

    Des.

  2. Hi Des,
    Wow, thanks my friend! It’s fun, do try it! My number one tip is: don’t hurry with the waethering, take your time, especially when working with oils. You have all the time in the world with oils. Stretch out the process for a couple of week, doing a little bit at every session.

    I’m a big admirer of the work you do, some really amazing aircraft there!
    Check out http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com for Des’ fantastic builds, folks!

    /Hans

  3. This build is really looking good. The weathering can either make or break a build. Your weathering is just what we would expect to see on the real thing.

    Keep the pictures coming.

    Carl

  4. Hi Carl!
    Thanks, man, those are encouraging words!
    I’ll keep em coming for sure.

    /Hans

Submit a Comment

E-postadressen publiceras inte. Obligatoriska fält är märkta *